Tag Archives: Stage 2 Exhibition

Wall Painting Update/Installation Panic

I am saddened to be having to write such a blog post, I finished my wall painting in advanced, so perhaps four days before the time we were expected to all install our works so that I could focus on organising my written work. However, I received a call from Roshai to inform me that someone has not only broken her small sculptures she made especially for the Stage 2 show and assessment, but that it had chipped and grazed the paint off of my wall painting. I made sure I was prepared in order to reduce the amount of last minute stress and avoid such things from going wrong. I was not only upset about my own work but also Roshai’s as she made ceramic sculptures – mine can easily be covered up but hers cannot be mended easily.

I think the lack of respect for other people’s belongings and especially their work at such a time in the year is pretty bad – throughout the year I have seen lack of studio etiquette from some and I’m surprised that people of our age group are inconsiderate enough to cause damage to other’s work where a lot of time has been spent and not even admit to it.

image1

I came in to see what’s happened so that I can go over it and they’ve chipped away at the wall so I’ll just have to cover it which won’t be a problem.

Advertisements

Wall Painting for Stage 2 Exhibition/Unit 7

9/05-18/05/2015 I knew our Stage 2 exhibition was coming up but having been so busy with the dissertation proposal and researching my area, I hadn’t managed to generate any new ideas. But I did mention to Liz that I wanted to do a wall painting at some point in order to: 1) Confront my fear of creating in front of others 2) Confront the fear of working on a larger scale because it attracts attention 3) To tackle working with a different medium like paint – I cannot paint but considering this would be temporal and the surface, emulsion paint is the most suitable medium. I chose a drawing (below) I did which was inspired by the extrusions (like Knots that I made for our off-site show) which I wanted to paint on the wall in monochrome colours. I decided that I’d like the dominant colour to be black and the smaller sections in the drawing that I’ve painted black to be white, because I know it would stand out against the white wall. Also it would be easier for me to cover up in time for the third years to use. pic drawing I set out to draw this by projecting the image onto the wall so I borrowed a projector from the loan store to project the image onto the wall, I planned to work on this over the weekend while the studio was quiet because I knew I’d have to work with the light switched off and clear out the tables from my space so I’d be making a mess! There was a few problems with the fact that I couldn’t change the scale enough for the drawing to project to the top of the wall and I couldn’t move the project back far enough either due to the parallel wall behind the one I was working on so I knew I’d have to improvise the rest of the drawing. Here is my set up and how it looked projected: image2-1 image1-1 I simply drew the lines in, they were slightly pixelated and the wall isn’t the smoothest so it was fairly difficult to create a flowing line. image3-1 image4 This is how it looked drawn onto the wall, it took me a few hours but I knew this would be the most difficult part. I also changed the flow of the lines because I found that the changing of scale altered the rhythm of them. I have this fixation with my lines needing to flow harmoniously together so this took me a while to change. My next step was outlining the lines in a dark paint, I picked up some matte emulsion but I couldn’t find a pure black, I bought a liquorice shade and I actually like this colour more on the wall because there’s something very mystic and foggy about the colour. image5 image6 After painting most of it, I decided to improvise the rest, I painted it first because I knew it would make it easier for me to continue the drawing upwards in a fluid way, in a way that it also flows or correlates to the base. image8 I filled in the outlines around the white areas and felt there was something missing so I added another extension on that reaches to the top. image9 I’ve had a lot of mixed reviews as to what it looks like such as roots, trees, an umbilical cord, female genitalia… But all have said it’s soothing and enjoyable to look at it.